- Name, Daytime Job/ Alter Ego, Hometown/Origins
Abby Rowold. I just graduated from IU with an MFA in Acting in 2011. Since then I have been living in Cincinnati, OH. where I have done some acting work, some adjunct teaching at Northern Kentucky University, and worked at an after school program for underserved youth K-5. I am originally from Iowa but I lived in Chicago for 10 years.
- Role Playing in the Rep Shows
The Widow/Servant in The Taming of the Shrew
Penny Sycamore in You Can’t Take it with You.
- What has been your best rehearsal experience during You Can’t Take It With You and The Taming of the Shrew?
I love being back in Indiana with all of my old friends and colleagues from IU and I love being able to meet new friends, as well. Some of the faces have changed, but the spirit of collaboration, fun, and hard work remains. This kind of work is crazy and it helps to be surrounded by people who share your particular kind of madness.
- What is something about you that would surprise people?
I am a Medical Doctor, I have three PhD’s, I have often counseled the President on sensitive matters of foreign policy, and I have eight toes on one foot. This is all a surprise to ME too.
- What was the first show you remember seeing?
I went up with a friend and her parents to the American Players Theatre in Wisconsin and saw a production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream. I thought it was the most amazing thing I had ever seen.
- What has been your favorite role in your acting career?
I played most of the major roles in a high concept version of Macbeth…..no wait….that’s Alan Cumming.
- What has been your least favorite role?
The “Super Bar Girl” at Wendy’s. I had to be there so early to add water to the powdered cheese sauce and chop up the lettuce for the salad bar. What I am saying is…actors do not have least favorite roles as long as they get paid! The Wendy’s job did have bright spots…I was hired to play Wendy herself at certain events, like when my manager sent me to walk by myself in the Clinton, Iowa, 4th of July Parade. I wore my Wendy costume and threw Starlight Mints at the crowd.
- What is a role you would kill to play?
All of the major roles in a high concept version of Macbeth.
- Who is your inspiration or idol?
Any poor sap, with an acting dream, who was born in the middle of Iowa and still found a great career! So I guess that would be John Wayne, Donna Reed, and Ashton Kutcher. I could count all of the fictional ones too, like Karen Cartwright from Smash and Christina Aguilera from that movie I never saw with Cher in it.
- What are three things that you could not live without?
My partner, Sarah. My kitty cat CeCe. My kitty cat Ollie.
- What is your pre-show ritual?
Look at my lines. Worry. Warm-up. Worry. Stand in the dark back stage cursing at myself. The rest is magic!
- Finish this statement: “I’ll never understand why. . .”
Someone would EVER hurt an animal.
- What is the best piece of advice to give aspiring actors
Keep going. Just keep going.
Only two weeks left to see I.U. alumna Abby as the hot-and-bothered cougar in The Taming of the Shrew and as the eccentric matriarch of the Sycamore clan in You Can’t Take it with You.See this page for details!